Resources for Stakeholders
Numerous stakeholders drive the anti-trafficking movement forward. In order to promote sound practice, please find below an abbreviated list of resources based on varying occupations. These resources are only an overview of the thousands available. For additional resources, please search our database.
Useful Resources for All Stakeholders
- National Human Trafficking Resource Center. Understanding Victim Mindsets. 2010 (Updated 2014).
- US Department of Health and Human Services. Victim Assistance Fact Sheet. 2012.
- National Human Trafficking Resource Center. Trauma-Informed Human Trafficking Screenings. 2015.
- VERA Institute of Justice. Screening for Human Trafficking: Guidelines for Administering the Trafficking Victim Identification Tool. 2014.
- US Department of Homeland Security. Human Trafficking Awareness Training.
- UN Office of Drugs and Crime. Toolkit to Combat Trafficking in Persons. 2008.
- UN Office on Drugs and Crime. Assessment Toolkit: Trafficking in Persons for the Purpose of Organ Removal. 2015.
- American Bar Association. Meeting the Legal Needs of Child Trafficking Victims: An Introduction for Children’s Attorneys and Advocates. 2009.
- Human Trafficking Legal Access Center. Resources and Information for Pro Bono Attorneys working with Survivors of Human Trafficking. (Must sign-up to receive resources)
- Polaris Project. Legal Needs of Human Trafficking Survivors. 2012.
- Supreme Court of the State of New York. Lawyer’s Manual on Human Trafficking: Pursuing Justice for Victims. 2013.
- NY Anti-Trafficking Network. Identification and Legal Advocacy for Trafficking Survivors. 3rd edition. 2009.
- NY Anti-Trafficking Network. Information on T and U Visas.
- Southern Poverty Law Center Immigrant Justice Project. Civil Litigation on Behalf of Victims of Human Trafficking. 2008.
- UN Office of Drugs and Crime. Human Trafficking Case Law Database.
Criminal Justice Practitioners
- UN Office on Drugs and Crime and UN Global Initiative to Fight Human Trafficking. Anti-Human Trafficking Manual for Criminal Justice Practitioners. 2009.
- Human Trafficking and the State Courts Collaborative. A Guide to Human Trafficking for State Courts. 2014.
- National Human Trafficking Resource Center. Victims of Human Trafficking: Intersections with the Court System. 2014.
- National Immigrant Women’s Advocacy Project (AU Washington College of Law), The Vera Institute of Justice, and Legal Momentum. U Visa Toolkit for Law Enforcement Agencies and Prosecutors. 2012.
- US Department of Justice and ICF International. Prosecuting Human Trafficking Cases: Lessons Learned and Promising Practices. 2008.
- International Labour Office Special Action Programme to Combat Forced Labour. Forced Labour and Human Trafficking Casebook of Court Decisions: A Training Manual for Judges, Prosecutors, and Legal Practitioners. 2009.
- UN Office on Drugs and Crime and the UN Global Initiative to Fight Human Trafficking. Needs Assessment Toolkit on the Criminal Justice Response to Human Trafficking. 2010.
- UN Office on Drugs and Crime. First Aid Kit: For Use by Law Enforcement Responders in Addressing Human Trafficking.
- National Immigrant Women’s Advocacy Project (AU Washington College of Law) and The Vera Institute of Justice, and Legal Momentum. U Visa Toolkit for Law Enforcement Agencies and Prosecutors. 2012.
- Northeastern University Institute on Race and Justice and the Urban Institute Justice Policy Center. Identifying Challenges to Improve the Investigation and Prosecution of State and Local Human Trafficking Cases. 2012.
Health Care Practitioners
- International Organization for Migration, London School for Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, and UN Global Initiative to Fight Trafficking in Persons. Caring for Trafficked Persons: Guidance for Health Providers. 2009.
- National Human Trafficking Resource Center. Recognizing and Responding to Human Trafficking in a Healthcare Context. 2012.
- National Human Trafficking Resource Center. What to Look for during a Medical Exam/Consultation. 2010.
- Lederer, Laura and Christopher Wetzel. “The Health Consequences of Sex Trafficking and Their Implications for Identifying Victims in Healthcare Facilities.” Annals of Health Law: The Health Policy and Law Review of Loyola University Chicago School of Law. 23:1, 2014.
- ECPAT International. The Psychological Rehabilitation of Children who have been Commercially Sexually Exploited: A Training Guide. 2005.
Social Service Providers & Task Forces
- Human Trafficking Legal Access Center. Resources and Information for Non-Profit Service Providers working with Survivors of Human Trafficking. (Must sign-up to receive resources)
- International Labour Organization. Training Manual to Fight Trafficking in Children for Labour, Sexual and other Forms of Exploitation: Facilitators’ Guide. 2009.
- Safe Horizon. Collaborating with the Media: Guidelines for Social and Legal Service Providers Working with Survivors of Human Trafficking. 2008.
- International Organization for Migration. The IOM Handbook on Direct Assistance for Victims of Trafficking. 2007.
- National Human Trafficking Resource Center. Human Trafficking Assessment for Runaway and Homeless Youth. 2011.
- ECPAT International. Training the Trainer: A Guide to Training Trainers, Specifically in Relation to Trafficking in Children and the Sexual Exploitation of Children. 2008.
- National Human Trafficking Resource Center. Working With Law Enforcement. 2012.
- US Dept. of Health and Human Services, Office of Refugee Resettlement, Division of Anti-Trafficking in Persons. Creating and Sustaining a Local Response to Human Trafficking: Compendium of Promising Practices. 2008-2011.
- Department of Justice Office for Victims of Crime (OVC). Human Trafficking Task Force E-Guide: Strengthening Collaborative Responses. 2014.
- US Office for Victims of Crime and the Bureau of Justice Assistance. Directory of Training and Technical Assistance Resources for Anti-Trafficking Task Forces and Service Providers.
- National Human Trafficking Resource Center. Building a Local Crisis Response to Human Trafficking. 2013.
- US Department of Education.
- National Human Trafficking Resource Center.
- Youth Advocate Program International Course Curriculum Modules. (Available Modules: Child Slavery and the Worst Forms of Child Labor (WFCL); Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC); Child Soldiers/Children Affected by Armed Conflict.)
- Anti-Slavery. Secondary Lesson Plans. (Available Modules: Human Rights and Slavery; Child Labour; Trafficking; Slavery and What We Buy.)
- International Slavery Museum. Teaching Resources.
- Chicago Alliance against Sexual Exploitation and US Fund for UNICEF. Educator’s Guide: A Collection of Curricula to Aid in Ending Violence and Exploitation.
- Chicago Alliance against Sexual Exploitation. Ending Sexual Exploitation: Activities and Resources for Educators of High School Students. 2011.
- Speak Truth to Power: Human Rights Defenders who are changing our World.
- Harry Wu: Forced Labor Lesson Plans. 2010. (grades 9-12)
- Juliana Dogbadzi: Slavery/Trafficking Lesson Plans. 2010. (grades 9-12)
- Kailash Satyarthi: Child Labor Lesson Plans. 2010. (grades 6-8)
- National Center for Homeless Education. Sex Trafficking of Minors: What Schools Need to Know to Recognize and Respond to the Trafficking of Students. 2014.
- Global Exchange.
- National Human Trafficking Resource Center. Strategies on Giving Public Presentations on Human Trafficking. 2013.
- UN Office on Drugs and Crime. International Framework for Action: To Implement the Trafficking in Persons Protocol. 2009.
- ECPAT International. Strengthening Laws Addressing Child Sexual Exploitation: A Practical Guide. 2008.
- UN Office on Drugs and Crime and the UN Global Initiative to Fight Human Trafficking. Model Law against Trafficking in Persons. 2009.
- The Council of Europe Convention on Action against Trafficking in Human Beings. Handbook for Parliamentarians. 2009.
- Inter-Parliamentary Union and UN Office on Drugs and Crime. Combatting Trafficking in Persons: A Handbook for Parliamentarians. 2009.
Businesses & Financial Institutions
- Verité. Fair Hiring Toolkit. 2011.
- Verité and the Manpower Group. An Ethical Framework for Cross-Border Labor Recruitment: An Industry/Stakeholder Collaboration to Reduce the Risks of Forced Labor and Human Trafficking. 2012.
- Slavery Footprint. How Many Slaves Work for You?
- Verité. Corruption and Labor Trafficking in Global Supply Chains. 2013.
- US Department of the Treasury Financial Crimes Enforcement Network. Guidance on Recognizing Activity that May be Associated with Human Smuggling and Human Trafficking: Financial Red Flags. 2014.
- International Labour Organization. Trafficking for Forced Labour: How to Monitor the Recruitment of Migrant Workers: Training Manual. 2005.
- UN Global Initiative to Fight Human Trafficking. Human Trafficking and Business: Good Practices to Prevent and Combat Human Trafficking. 2010.